CANON EOS R3 MIRRORLESS DIGITAL CAMERA BODY SUMMARY
Everything about the Canon EOS R3 mirrorless digital camera body is designed for speed, from the new Canon developed stacked back-illuminated full frame sensor with 24 megapixels, right through to USB-C and 5G connectivity. Professional sports, action, wildlife and news photographers gain a groundbreaking option with the R3, simply brimming with the latest Canon technology focused on high speed shooting and getting the competitive advantage. The camera has been designed with a built-in pro sized grip, robust magnesium alloy body as well as familiar ergonomics for those shooting with an EOS-1D X Mark III.
Headline features include superb ISO capabilities, a blackout-free high res EVF and unreal AF capabilities with industry leading subject tracking from the Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system. You can even simply look at your subject and half press the shutter to start tracking it. That is called Eye control AF and works with Humans, Animals and Vehicles for motorsports.
- A stacked back-illuminated full frame sensor with 24 megapixel resolution
- Continuous shooting up to 30fps in Electronic and 12 fps with mechanical shutter
- ISO sensitivity from ISO 100 to 102,400 (expands to ISO 204,800)
- Up to 8-stop IS for rock steady in-body image stabilisation that works in tandem with lens IS
- Eye control AF, select focus points or subjects to track simply by looking at them
- Subject tracking that automatically tracks people, animals and vehicles in both photo and video modes
- Fully articulated Vari-Angle screen, 8.2cm, 4,200,000-dot touch capable
- Blackout-free 5,760,000-dot electronic viewfinder with 120fps refresh rate and 100% coverage
- 5GHz WiFi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for remote control and image transfer
- Built in Wired LAN socket
- 6K/60p 12bit RAW movies with Canon Log 3 and 4K up to 120fps for slow motion playback
- Tough, magnesium alloy body and polycarbonate with glass fibre and pro level dust and water resistance
- Dual card slots with SD UHS-II or CFexpress memory cards
- Powered by a high-capacity LP-E19 battery (same as EOS-1D X Mark III)
- AF in extreme darkness at light levels -7EV or lower
- x3 customisable dials on the body, plus a Lens Control ring on each RF mirrorless lens
CANON EOS R3 CAMERA BODY IN MORE DETAIL
HIGH QUALITY, AT HIGH SPEED
The EOS R3 is the first EOS series camera to feature an entirely new 35mm full frame back illuminated stacked CMOS sensor developed by Canon. Combined with the power of its DIGIC X imaging processor, professionals using the EOS R3 achieve next-level, high-speed photography and filmmaking. Using the camera you can enjoy 30fps with AF/AE tracking with minimal image distortion (rolling shutter) when using the electronic shutter. This is perfect for the likes of professional sports photographers challenged with capturing action within a fraction of a second.
IMPRESSIVE TRACKING OF FAST-MOVING ACTION
Professionals can push creative boundaries with pin-sharp accurate tracking and focus on fast-moving action. The EOS R3’s next generation Dual Pixel CMOS AF can track subjects’ eyes, heads and bodies travelling at speed, for unparalleled performance capturing even the finest of details in a split second. What’s more, Canon reveals motorsports tracking with this body, including cars, bikes and driver helmet.
AF CONTROL WITH YOUR EYE
The EOS R3 features new and improved technology first seen in Canon’s EOS 5 (see our blog post of the Canon EOS R3 vs EOS 1D X Mark III for more details).
It is the first EOS digital camera to provide a new generation of photographers with ground-breaking Eye Control Function, which enables users to simply select and move the AF point using their eye via the viewfinder. This instinctive feature offers professionals natural and ultra fast control over AF. Reducing the time to focus, which is usually done with a multi-controller/button, this feature is again perfect for photographers looking to capture the most important subject for their frame at speed, whether that’s during a news conference or photographing a team sport. With Eye Control AF2 and Servo AF activated, the camera will focus on and track moving subjects at that location in the frame. When Face Detect + Tracking is active, the camera will continue to follow moving subjects around the entire active AF area
PROFESSIONAL BUILD QUALITY
Inspired by the EOS-1D series the EOS R3 body allows for ultra-intuitive control in the most demanding professional situations. Professionals can expect the same durability with dust and water resistance as found in legendary EOS-1 series Canon DSLR bodies. The camera also has an integrated grip that EOS-1D series users love and trust, with very similar dimensions of 150 x 142.6 x 87.2mm Vs 1DX III : 158 x 167.6 x 82.6mm. With EOS R3, professionals have the confidence to keep on shooting whatever the conditions, whether they are pitch side or poolside, inside or outside, in snow or sunshine.
FAST CONNECTION WITH CANON’S NEW MOBILE FILE TRANSFER
The EOS R3 will be fully compatible with Canon’s Mobile File Transfer smartphone app. This provides a new way to transfer images and speed up workflow whilst on the move, using mobile network services and without the need for wired LAN equipment.
RF LENS MOUNT WITH CONVERTERS FOR EXISTING DSLR LENSES
Use the native RF lens mount or a choice of EF to RF mount adapters: EF TO EOS R Adapter (standard), EF TO EOS R Adapter with control ring, EF TO EOS R Drop in CPL filter Adapter and EF TO EOS R Drop in VND filter Adapter.
The range of native RF lenses is growing with every focal width now covered including three professional super telephoto options: RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100-500mm L IS USM.
What’s in the box
- Canon EOS R3 Camera Body
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery LP-E19
- Battery charger LC-E19E
It’s worth mentioning the new multi-function hot shoe accessories in particular below, as these cable-free and battery-free designs are a minor revelation. More compact, lighter and no forgotten batteries to charge or cables to dislodge.
- Canon DM-E1D Shoe Stereo Microphone *New hot shoe interface
- Canon ST-E10 Speedlite Transmitter *New hot shoe interface
- Canon LP-E19 Battery – pack as many as you need
- Canon Speedlite EL-1 – arguably the best Canon flashgun at the moment and compatible with the new transmitter
- Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R – use your existing EF lenses on this body
Canon EOS R3 Sample images
Sample 1: R3 with RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM at 48mm. 1/4000 sec. f/8. ISO 1600
Sample 2: R3 with RF 100-500mm L IS USM at 472mm. 1/3200 sec. f/7.1. ISO 400
Sample 3: R3 with RF 600mm f/4L IS USM at 600mm. 1/6400 sec. f/8. ISO 3200
Sample 4: R3 with RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM at 14mm. 1/6400 sec. f/8. ISO 400